Sunday, October 24, 2010

One Week Today

One week and about twelve hours ago my precious boys were being born.  Life has been a bit of a whirlwind since then!

We came home Wednesday night and got home around 5:00 p.m.  The "now what?" moment I thought might come did so very briefly.  It turns out the babies actually do let you know what they need! We fed the babies their last bottle around 10:00 and headed to bed.  I was getting out our new twin bassinet pack and play when I discovered that my cat (that got trapped in our bedroom for two days when I went into labor) had used it as a litter box.  It was not how I had expected our first night to turn out.  Although, I couldn't really blame our poor kitty and was glad he contained to to one spot.  Thank goodness my SIL had lent us her video monitors and the boys spent their first night in the crib.  I spent most of the night staring at the monitor!

Thursday, we had our first pedi appointment.  Both boys are super healthy!!!!  We go back on Tuesday for a quick weight check, but I think we'll be good.  They are now eating every three - four hours and sleep pretty well most of the day.  We have some rough nights, but that is to be expected.  I'm just going to try to nap when the babies are napping. 

Thursday night my parents came down for the weekend.  I almost started crying as the pulled away.  They were such a HUGE help in many, many ways.  My mom cooked, took care of clothes, fed and snuggled with babies.  My dad is a quite a handy man and helped clean our garage, installed a dog door and next weekend he's going to help Mr. W install a small fenced in area for the dogs so they can go in and out through the dog door without having full access to the yard while we're gone.

On Friday night Mr. W found out that he was needed at work this weekend and part of next week.  I had a bit of a mini meltdown at the thought of being alone on Monday and Tuesday with the boys, but I'm beginning to think I can manage. I'm still a little bummed that his job didn't recognize that we just brought them home, but we'll get over it.  He'll be home later this week with us. 

This weekend my parents will be down again with my sister and my mom will be staying for two weeks!  I don't know what I'll do after she leaves again.  I'll be missing her that's for sure, but after a month, I'm sure we'll be looking forward to time with just the four of us.

I ended up giving up breastfeeding.  Much like my labor, it wasn't going as I had hoped.  The boys were having trouble latching, and by the time I got them fed and I pumped over two hours had gone by and it was time to almost start the process again.  It was a very difficult decision, but I realized that I was just not enjoying my time with them as much as I should be. 

Yesterday, we gave them their first sponge bath.  B liked it and just stared at me. G hated it and screamed the whole time! I don't think it helped that I kept him in their a few seconds longer to snap a photo at his displeasure!

Hopefully I'll be able to add some pictures later. My computer is running quite slow today.  I better sign off now.  I'm trying to sleep when the babies sleep, but not doing a very good job of it. I need to start trying harder before the sleep deprivation catches up with me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're getting a little help for a while and sorry that your DH is having to go back to work for a bit. That's very frustrating! Glad to hear the boys are doing well. Hope you can get some sleep soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that your boys are home and doing great =) Nice of your parents to come and help with everything. Sorry the b/f didn't work out and your DH has to go to work when I'm sure you need his help and he'd much rather be home. I wish our country gave more time to new parents. Have a wonderful time getting to know your little ones!!!

    ReplyDelete